Beth Chapple [Download resumé in pdf format]
NE 201st Place (206)
Lake Forest Park, WA 98155 [email protected]
Adept at understanding what a writer wants to express and helping to convey it more idiomatically and precisely. More than twenty-five years providing editorial services to book publishers and individual scholars. Three years experience writing and editing software user manuals and tutorials. Developed and maintain the Granite Peak Publications website YellowstoneTreasures.com. Have taught writing and editing.
Highlights of Editorial Services
· Copyedited and proofread college textbooks in drama, education, German, history, Spanish, and writing for major publishers via MPS North America, using Chicago, APA, MLA, and house styles.
· Edited and managed print production for five editions (2002-2017) of the Granite Peak Publications guidebook Yellowstone Treasures.
· Copyedited, proofread, and indexed art books in English and Spanish for the Amon Carter Museum of American Art, Artist and Publisher Services, Cisneros Foundation, Costco Wholesale, Laguna Art Museum, Lucia Marquand Books, the Rennie Collection, and Seattle Art Museum.
· Edited journal articles, dissertations, and book chapters in English for both native and nonnative speakers of English, using Chicago, Harvard, and MLA styles.
Technical Writing and User Interface Development:
· Converted files from WordPerfect to Microsoft Word, tested and corrected the documents for a law firm’s document assembly system. Wrote the reference manual and brochures.
· Managed the documentation and wrote tutorials for Language Engineering Corporation's English-to-Japanese machine translation software.Supervised the work of staff and consultants.
Editorial Freelancer 1990–95;
Web Designer / Webmaster 1999–present
Basic Copyediting Instructor, Antioch University Continuing Ed., Seattle 2006, 2007, 2008
Proofreading & Copyediting Team Teacher, Discover U, Seattle 2002–2007
Teaching Assistant, Dept. of Technical Communication, Univ. of Wash., Seattle 1997–98
Software Editor, Stroock & Stroock & Lavan, Boston 1995–96
Technical Writer / Editor, Language Engineering Corp., Belmont, MA 1991–92
Legal Proofreader, Commerce Clearing House, Inc., San Rafael, CA 1989–90
M.S. Technical Communication, March 1999. University of Washington,
B.A. German Studies, January 1988. Stanford University. Specialized in language/linguistics.
HONORS & ASSOCIATIONS
Member, Association of Art Editors, Northwest Editors Guild
Board member, Northwest Editors Guild, 2005–2012
Diploma in Spanish as a Foreign Language (DELE), Instituto Cervantes, 2008
Brown University Book Award for superior English expression, 1981